What Should I Do if I’m Involved in a Hit and Run Accident?

Fleeing the scene of an accident is illegal. If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, and the other driver took off from the scene, contact the authorities. If possible, first pull off the road and onto the shoulder. The police will arrive and ask for a statement. If you were injured in the accident, an ambulance will typically be brought in to ensure you are OK. You may wish to seek medical attention, in any case.

What to Do

During and after a hit-and-run accident, there are some steps you’ll likely wish to take. For instance:

  • Try to get a license plate number if possible – it helps to have a dash cam
  • Call the police and report the accident, with the license plate number
  • Complete an accident report and include any witnesses
  • Call your insurance company to report the accident
  • Call an attorney

If the police are unavailable to take an accident report, try to speak with witnesses and receive written statements. You’ll want to include their names, addresses, and contact information, too. Take a few photographs of the accident scene. Then, write your description of the events.

What Not to Do

On the other hand, here is what not to do:

  • Never leave the scene of the accident to confront or chase the other driver
  • Do not block traffic while waiting for the police – move your vehicle to the shoulder
  • Do not admit fault for the accident, even if the other driver took off

Most people flee the scene of a car accident because they either are not insured or properly licensed. Your insurance should cover the damages and medical costs.

Contact Us

If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, contact the Denton Car Accident Attorney by calling 972-362-0046. We’ll discuss your case and pursue a favorable outcome!