Following a severe car accident, one of the toughest aspects in the following days will be dealing with the insurance company. Within a matter of days after you file the claim for the accident, you’ll be contacted by your insurance adjuster assigned to the case to begin settling the claim. It’s the adjuster’s job to determine how much money you’ll receive in coverage for the incident.
If someone else was at fault for the accident, according to Texas law, their insurance is responsible for your injuries and damages. You may still need to deal with your own insurance provider, though. Depending on the severity of the damages and injuries, it might be best to speak with an accident attorney in Denton, Texas
Tips for Handling Insurance Companies
Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always have your best interests at heart. They want your money and they certainly don’t want to pay you any more than necessary for an accident.
Here’s who and what you might deal with over the course of your claim process.
- Adjusters – The insurance adjuster is an employee. They are not there to help you, but to pay you as little as possible. You could easily say something that will hurt your case, so be wary when they schedule a meeting.
- Personal Injury Attorney – A personal injury attorney or car accident attorney will be beneficial in the long-run. If you need help recovering compensation for your injuries or property damage, find an experienced attorney in your area. A lawyer will help you receive a larger settlement. Additionally, working with someone who has experience dealing with insurance companies pays off extensively.
- Negotiations – You may be tempted to negotiate a settlement of your own. However, experts seriously discourage doing so. Let an experienced attorney handle that portion of the case. It’s far too easy for the insurance company to take advantage of your lack of legal knowledge.
- Recoverable Damages – When filing an insurance claim, you should have a complete understanding of all damages from the accident. These damages include property damage, medical expenses, treatments, prescription medications, and any related medical expenses you’ll incur in the future.
Finding an Accident Attorney
After a severe car accident, you’ll want to find an experienced car accident attorney in Denton, Texas. Locating one might be a challenge. Here are a few tips to finding the perfect legal representation:
- Look for an attorney who has experience dealing with your type of accident, regardless of whether it’s a hit and run or a multi-car pile-up.
- Make sure you’re comfortable with your chosen lawyer.
- Find a firm that is a good size and that has experience.
- Search previous reviews from past clients to determine how successful the lawyer has truly been.
Work with the best car accident attorney in Denton by contacting the Todd R. Durham Law Firm. Give us a call at 972-362-0046. We’ll sit down and discuss your case in-depth to ensure you receive a favorable outcome!